“Techniques from energy medicine and Energy Psychology can alleviate chronic diseases, shift autoimmune conditions, and eliminate psychological traumas with an efficiency and speed that conventional treatments can scarcely touch.” – Dawson Church, Ph.D.
Energy Psychology (EP) is a branch of energy medicine that addresses the mind/body connection. In most energy healing techniques the focus is more on shifting the energy from a physical perspective, however, in energy psychology the aim is also on impacting the psychological and emotional elements of an energetic imbalance. Energy psychologists believe that the body stores emotional disturbances in every cell, and even in our very DNA (epigenetics). As such, in order to achieve energetic balance and optimal health, efforts must be made not just to move energy in the body, but also to dispel any emotional fears, worries, anxieties, or negative cellular memories that are being stored. David Feinstein, Ph.D., a pioneer in the field, refers to energy psychology as “psychological acupuncture without the needles.” Such a description makes sense considering the field actually has its roots in Chinese Medicine.
Energy psychology tends to focus on simple, self-healing techniques utilizing the dynamics of the body’s meridians to release subconscious thoughts. It is particularly helpful in relieving and healing:
- Trauma or abuse of any kind
- PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder)
- Mental imbalances (depression, anxiety)
- Grief or personal loss
Energy Psychology Practices
There are a wide variety of techniques utilized to access and release emotional disturbances stored in the body. A few of the more popular techniques include:
- EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique) – one of the most popular forms of Energy Psychology which works by “tapping” on a series of points. Please see the EFT page for detailed information.
- TFT (Thought Field Therapy) – a precursor to EFT, this system created by Dr. Roger Callahan also uses tapping on meridian fields to offer emotional relief.
- TAT (Tapas Acupressure Technique) – originally developed by acupuncturist Tapas Fleming to relieve allergy symptoms, the technique also proved effective at eliminating stress and painful emotions. It involves touching acupuncture points on the face and back of the head while concentrating on several statements.
The following are not always classified as “Energy Psychology,” but their focus and results are similar to those of other traditional EP practices.
- The Healing Codes – a system developed by Dr. Alex Loyd which utilizes a prayer for healing (“I pray that all known and unknown negative images, unhealthy beliefs, destructive cellular memories, and all physical issues related to ____(the issue) would be found, opened and healed by filling me with the light, life and love of God. I also pray that the effectiveness of this healing be increased by 100 times or more.” That prayer is then followed by pointing the fingertips at four different points – 1. The bridge of the nose, 2. The throat/Adam’s apple, 3. The Jaws, and 4. The Temples. [From the book, The Healing Codes]
- Emei Qigong – certain styles of qigong (particularly the Emei form) work on the energy body to relieve imbalance and emotional disturbances. They do this through healing sounds and a universal mantra (Ahh Mee Dee Lee Gong Jen Hong).
Energy Psychology Resources
Association for the Advancement of Meridian Energy Therapies (AAMET) – www.aamet.org – a worldwide association of EFT practitioners dedicated to research and advancement of the field.
Association for Comprehensive Energy Psychology – www.energypsych.org – a nonprofit organization uniting energy psychology practitioners, while also providing certification, training and research.
Association for Meridian Energy Therapies (AMT) – www.theAMT.com – a group focused on research and training in EFT and other energy psychology practices.
Callahan Techniques -Thought Field Therapy – www.rogercallahan.com – a site with resources and videos on TFT from founder Roger Callahan, Ph.D.
Energy Pscyhology, David Feinstein, Ph.D. – www.innersource.net/ep/ – a leading researcher and author in the field. He wrote, Energy Psychology in Disaster Relief – – and article by featured on the Institute of Noetic Sciences website.
Energy Psychology: The Future of Therapy?– http://noetic.org/noetic/issue-thirteen-august/energy-psychology/ – a comprehensive article on the history by John Freedom, CEHP from Noetic Now the journal of the Institute of Noetic Sciences.
Energy Psychology: Theory, Research, and Treatment – http://energypsychologyjournal.org/ – a peer-reviewed journal focused on research and developments in the field of energy psychology.
Energy Psychology Press – www.energypsychologypress.com/ – a publishing company providing books and pamphlets on energy psychology and healing modalities.
Epigenetics – The Genetic Science Learning Center – http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/content/epigenetics/ – a division of The University of Utah focused on the study of epigenetics. The site features videos, and other resources on the field of epigenetics.
Soul Medicine Institute – www.soulmedicineinstitute.org– a nonprofit group dedicated to promoting the research, therapies and education surrounding Energy Medicine and Energy Psychology. Led by Dawson Church, Ph.D. author of Genie in Your Genes.
TATLife – www.tatlife.com – the site of Tapas Fleming with information and resources on theTapas Acupressure Technique.
Dawson Church, Ph.D. The Genie in Your Genes(2009)
[Last Updated: 10/22/12]