“Crystals are the earth’s DNA, a chemical imprint for evolution.” – Judy Hall
A crystal (or gemstone) is a solid mineral structure composed of a specific pattern of atoms, ions, and molecules. Given their unique geometric structure, every crystal carries its own vibrational pattern which enables it to transmit, refract, absorb, or reflect light. The powerful conductive nature of crystals is why they are widely used in computers and electronic devices. This capacity also offers an explanation as to how they could be helpful in healing.
It stands to reason that if something is a powerful conduit of energy and light, then it could potentially impact the energetic fields of the human body. This is precisely the theory behind utilizing crystals for healing. The belief is that the energetic and vibrational properties of different crystals enable them to rebalance and realign energy within the body ultimately leading to a variety of emotional, spiritual, and physical benefits such as mental clarity, enhanced creativity, improved stamina, relaxation, and an overall optimization of health. To this end, crystals are often used directly on the chakras, the seven energy centers of the body, in order to balance their dynamic energy patterns. The use of crystals is believed to enhance other energy healing modalities, and is accepted in Chinese Medicine as a tool for promoting the healthy flow of qi. Furthermore, since antiquity, priests, tribesmen, and leaders adorned themselves with gemstones not just for the inherent beauty they possessed, but also for their perceived value in offering protection and power.
Using a Crystal for Healing
One of the most fundamental concepts of crystal therapy, as is the case for many natural healing modalities, is setting a positive intention that a crystal will only be used for the highest good of all. Likewise, in order for crystal healing to be most effective, one must believe in its power and truly want to receive its healing effects.
A crystal can be selected for the particular healing benefit that it is said to promote. Or, more powerfully, a crystal can be chosen based on your personal attraction to it, as we are often drawn to a crystal because our natural instincts tell us we need the qualities it possesses. Just being in contact with a crystal will enable it to impact your energy field. This can be done by:
- Carrying or wearing a gemstone as jewelry
- Holding a crystal while meditating
- Placing a crystal under your pillow
- Placing a crystal by your computer or other electronic device (particularly useful for crystals that neutralize electromagnetic smog, such as black tourmaline or smoky quartz).
- Aligning particular crystals over the seven chakras.
How to Clean & Program Crystals
Since crystals can store energy, it is important that they are cleaned before and after use. They should also be reprogrammed with a healing intent before additional uses. This can be done by simply holding the crystal in your palm, envisioning it emanating healing light, and stating, “I dedicate this crystal to the highest good of all. May it be used in light and love.” The various methods for cleaning a crystal include:
- Smudging – passing the crystal through the smoke of a sage stick or incense.
- Salt Water Bath – soaking the crystal (if it can be emerged in water) in salt water, and then discarding that water.
- Running Water – holding the crystal under running water and envisioning any negative energy draining away.
- Sunlight – recharging the crystal by allowing it to sit in sunlight for several hours (being careful that it is not generating heat which could cause a fire).
- Moonlight – allowing the crystal to bathe in the light of a full moon.
- Carnelian or Quartz – these crystals are able to cleanse other crystals, but they may need to be cleansed themselves occasionally.
Please Note: These resources all sell crystals, and therefore could be considered biased.
A comprehensive guide to Crystal Properties and Stone Meanings –
www.thatcrystalsite.com/guide/properties-glossary.php – a very detailed A to Z guide of crystals and their healing properties.
The Crystal Healing Shop – www.crystalhealingshop.com/ – this Irish site has a comprehensive list of resource on using and understanding crystals.
Gemstone Meanings – Crystal-Cures – http://crystal-cure.com/gemstone-meanings.html – this site is well-organized and features beautiful photos of the crystal jewelry being sold. In addition, there is detailed information on the use/meaning of each crystal. And there is a special page explaining the use of Crystals to balance the chakras.
Gemstone Gifts – a site from Shirley Gordon with basic information on the following:
Judy Hall. The Crystal Bible: A Definitive Guide to Crystals. 2003
[Last Updated: 10/16/12]